Buffalo Wings Recipe - The Best Homemade Chicken Wings Ever
Buffalo Chicken Wings are one of the most-ordered items on the menu in just about every restaurant in the country. Why is that? You might say it’s because they are so tasty, which they are, or kids love them, which they do, but the simple truth is, they are one of the most easy chicken recipes ever created - and when you think about a restaurant’s profit margins, it’s in their interest to sell as many chicken wings as possible at a 1000% profit. There’s nothing wrong with that, but just imagine how cheaply you can make them at home? They’re practically free. Making your own buffalo chicken wings takes very little time, and this is a healthy, low fat chicken recipe, because we are going to bake them or grill them in the final cooking process. I’m a big fan of grilled chicken recipes, but if you are short of time, baking works well too. If you are a fan of bbq chicken, you are sure to love this one. This recipe is so tasty, you will never eat chicken wings any other way after this. It takes a little time, but is definitely worth the effort. The final cook can be done well after the first cook, so if you are doing these for a party or BBQ, most of the work can be done the day before and just finish them off in the BBQ on the day. Make as many wings as you like for this, but the dip and hot sauce recipe at the bottom will serve 4 people and make about 2 lbs of wings. So adjust the quantities as needed for a bigger group.
Author: Mark Knowles
Recipe type: Appetiser
- 2 lb Chicken Wings
- 1 pint peanut oil
- 4 tablespoons of Hot sauce ( there are many hot sauces on the market, just use whichever is your own favorite – personally, I like plain old tabasco sauce or harissa )
- 2 tablespoons butter
- A bowl of seasoned flour (2 tablespoon flour, 1 teaspoon salt , I teaspoon pepper)
- For the Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, pushed through a garlic press or very finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup blue cheese, crumbled
- Salt & fresh ground black pepper
- First, fill the skillet about a third full of oil and heat over a medium heat. Cut the Chicken Wings in half so that you have a combination of mini drumsticks and double boned wings. Toss the wings in the seasoned flour and place in the oil, turning with the tongs to cook both sides and cook for about 8 minutes, until brown and crispy. You will need a platter guard or lid, the oil will spit. Cook them in batches, they will not all fit in at once. Set them aside on a plate with some paper towels on as they are ready.
- When all the wings are cooked, take sauce pan and add 2 tablespoons of butter, melt the butter over a low heat and then add 4 tablespoons of hot sauce. This is fairly hot, so adjust the mix up or down to suit your tastes. If you want hot chicken wings, add more Tabasco Put the wings in a large bowl and pour the sauce over. Toss to coat evenly.
- At this point, the wings can either be put on the grill or in the oven for about 10 minutes. Or, if you wish, leave them to cool and cook when it’s time to serve them.This last part of the process cooks most of the fat off, and is as low fat as grilled chicken.
- Serve with a blue cheese dip, celery sticks, French fries and a salad.
- To make the dip:
- Chop all the vegetables and mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. I like to chill the dip before serving, which will take about an hour in the fridge.
- This is another classic American recipe, and produces some of the best barbecue chicken wings ever. It’s a really great dish to serve at a BBQ or party because a big pile of buffalo homemade chicken wings, glistening on a platter with a home made dip is hard to resist. Of all the chicken wing recipes out there, I can heartily recommend this one.